If quinoa is new to you, this ancient grain contains lots of protein and cooks up in only 15 minutes. Our family frequently substitutes quinoa for brown rice at meals. Of course, this salad easily translates to a vegetarian dish by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth. One more thing: I don't like beets, but in this recipe the beets add a lovely flavor and color. Don't let the beets scare you!
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups organic chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
2 ears fresh corn, cooked (or 1 cup frozen corn)
1 15-ounce black beans or chick peas
1/4 cup chopped leeks
1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 tablespoons fresh basil, snipped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, snipped
1/4 cup cold pressed virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup diced beets
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside and allow to cool.
2. Remove corn from the cobs.
3. Rinse and drain beans or chick peas.
4. Chop leeks (using the white and lightly green parts) and sweet onion.
5. In large bowl combine quinoa, corn, chickpeas, cheese, onion, and herbs.
6. To make the dressing, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add to quinoa mixture and toss.
7. Cover, refrigerate and let stand for at least one hour, up to 24 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving. Stir in beets just before serving.
8. Serve in bowls robustly lined with arugula.
Lookout Point Lakeside Inn
Bed and Breakfast Foodie