Yields approx. 48 cookies
• 2 cups unbleached flour
• ½ - ¾ teaspoon salt (we like it a bit more salty but it is fine with less)
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
• 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
• 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
• 2 tablespoon grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Whisk together flour, salt, and rosemary in a bowl. Set aside.
Mix together butter and confectioner’s sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed until smooth and well blended. Add lemon zest and flour mixture and mix until dough barely holds together. Gather dough into a ball and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until it just comes together. Halve dough and form each half into an 8-inch long roll.
(Well wrapped in Saran wrap can be frozen for up to a month at this point.)
Cut each roll into 1/3 inch disks.
Bake shortbread in middle of oven until barely golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 min. and move cookies to a rack and cool completely.
Shortbread cookies keep in an airtight container at room temperature 1 week.
Brampton Bed and Breakfast Inn